Learn the Art and Science behind hosting and attending International Diplomatic and Government Events & Visits Represent your country or your organisation in a seamlessly professional way.
What is The Online International Diplomacy and Protocol course all about?
This is an online training programme designed in collaboration with The African Institute of Protocol to teach you the in-depth diplomatic and ceremonial protocols necessary to host successful visits and events. It is geared towards the individual wishing to brush up on their knowledge or pursue a career in government, diplomacy and high-level events coordination.
What you’ll learn:
- How to manage and plan high-level events for Government, Diplomats, and International organisations to engage.
- Seating Protocol
- Flag Precedence
- Precedence and hierarchy
- Planning for Events
- Gift Protocol
- Titles of Address
- Hosting International Visits
- Pre-Arrival Arrangements
- Requirements for Hosting
- Social Affairs and Invitations
- Protocol Officer Responsibilities
- Technical Operations
Each section comes with a video tutorial, workbook, practical assignment, downloadable slide and downloadable script.
Each skill has been assigned to one of 5 Chapters.
Each chapter is packed with meticulous research, clearly defined learning outcomes, and historical case studies.
Chapter 1: An introduction into the definition of Protocol and Diplomacy
- Definition of Protocol
- Definition of Diplomacy
- Protocol Officer Responsibilities
- High Level Events Coordinator Responsibilities
Chapter 2: Diplomacy
- What are Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates
- Difference between Ambassadors and High Commissioners
- Permanent Representatives & Missions
- Vienna Convention
- Diplomatic Communications
- The official languages of the United Nations
Chapter 3: Precedence
- Definition of Precedence
- Principle of the Right hand side
- Principle of Sovereign Equality
- Precedence between States
- Precedence Amongst Heads of State
- Precedence amongst Diplomats
- Precedence amongst UN, EU and AU member states
Chapter 4.1: Hosting a State Visit- Pre-arrival Stage
- Defining a State Visit
- The 5 Areas of Focus for Hosting a successful visit
- Establishing the Purpose
- 3 Questions to Assist with Establishing a Clear Purpose
Chapter 4.2: Requirements for Hosting a State Visit
Understanding the following Requirements for Hosting a State/International Visit
- Accommodation and Air Travel
- Airport arrival and Departure
- Cultural Issues
- Publicity and Media Coverage
- Interpreters and Translators
- Creating a Finalised Program
Chapter 4.3: Technical Considerations for Hosting an International Visit
- Official Arrival and Welcome
- Welcome at the Airport
- Welcome in front of the building
- Flag placement
- Preparation for talks
- Gift selection and Presentation
Chapter 4.4: Flag Protocol
- Flag Precedence
- Flags in a straight line
- Flags Leading up to a Building
- Flags on Crossed Poles
- Flags in a semi-circle/full-circle
- Vertical vs. Horizontal Flag Hanging
- Vehicle and Podium Flag Placement
- Mourning Protocol and Flag height
Chapter 4.5: Official Seating Plans
- Principle of Right Hand Side
- British and French Styles of Seating
- Seating plans for:
- Conference and Boardroom Table Seating
- Reception Rooms
- Formal events
- Informal events
Chapter 4.6: Achieving Objectives
- Learning Outcomes:
- Preparations for Talks
- Negotiation Set-Up
- Bilateral and Multilateral Signing Agreement Set-up
Chapter 4.7: Social Affairs and Invitations
- How to Write Invitations for formal Events
- The Four Types of Events involved in Every State Visit
- Invitation Timelines
- Defining the Event
- Elements of Good Planning
Chapter 5: Titles of Address and Official Introduction
- Official Titles of Address
- How to Make Formal Introductions
What you will get in the course:
Get 150+ page downloadable workbook that includes every requisite piece of information about protocol and diplomacy. It also includes a copyrighted comprehensive checklist and layouts for signing ceremonies, airport arrivals, banquets and seating plans.
There is one assignment per video tutorial. Students will submit a total of 12 Assignments including a final assessment.
Downloadable Slides and Scripts
Just in case you miss anything during your lesson, you are easily able to review your slides and scripts.
Students receive 4 year access to AppVantage. A learning app that will include a summarized version of their course, the layouts for events and the checklist. This will ensure that you have all the information quickly and easily accessible for those high pressure times.
You will receive a 1 hour free consultation with one of our Trainers to ask any questions and share any real life challenges you may have in your day-to-day responsibilities.
International Diplomacy and Protocol is completely virtual. You can get instant access to your course, allowing you to study at any time from anywhere. The video tutorials are quick, punchy and filled with all the necessary information to upskill you in the shortest time.
The Online International Diplomacy and Protocol Masterclass has been brought to you by The African Institute of Protocol and Added Vantage Online, bringing strong partnerships together to create exceptional products.
- Lectures 11
- Quizzes 11
- Duration 4-5 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 1
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes